Mixed fortunes for Biola basketball

Biola basketball split conference play against Chaminade.

Redshirt+freshman+forward+Maximo+Milovich+elevates+to+secure+the+rebound.+

Courtesy of Biola Athletics

Redshirt freshman forward Maximo Milovich elevates to secure the rebound.

Caleb Crawley, Sports Editor

Biola’s men’s and women’s basketball teams continued conference play against Chaminade University on Monday. The women’s team picked up a 65-53 win against the Silverswords while the men’s team narrowly lost 72-68 in overtime. 

RABE SETS RECORD

Eagles redshirt junior forward Jordan Rabe contributed 19 rebounds for the women’s team to set a NCAA DII program record for most rebounds in a game. Meanwhile, freshman forward Jessa Thurman recorded a double-double with 12 rebounds for the Eagles. 

The Eagles maintained a lead over the Silverswords through the entire first half. However, a six-point Chaminade run narrowed the margin to a mere two-point Biola lead at halftime (29-27). The Silverswords swiftly took their first lead of the game in the opening fifteen seconds of the second half (30-29). The Eagles responded and gained an eight-point lead until the Silverswords erased the deficit with a run of their own (38-37). The two teams traded baskets back-and-forth for the remainder of the third quarter, with Biola maintaining a narrow three-point lead (43-40). The Eagles took command by scoring the first points in the final quarter and rode their momentum to a 65-53 win over the Silverswords. 

OVERTIME THRILLER 

Sophomore guard Daniel Esparza led the Eagles’ offensive effort for the men’s team with 21 points, five rebounds and three assists. Meanwhile, redshirt senior guard Alex Wright continued to be a consistent contributor in the Eagles lineup, racking up 15 points. 

The Eagles found themselves in a 12-point deficit in the second half (48-36) but remarkably responded with 23 points on three shots beyond the arch in a 13-minute stretch to tie the Silverswords. Equally impressive was the Eagles’ defensive effort, holding their opponent to a mere 21.7 field goal percentage to supplement the comeback. Chaminade took the lead with 48 seconds remaining in regulation, until Wright’s layup tied the game and forced an overtime period (59-59). 

Redshirt freshman forward Maximo Milovich’s pair of layups in overtime gave Biola their first lead of the game (63-62). Chaminade regained the lead over Biola, however, and maintained the margin until the final buzzer (72-68). 

Biola’s basketball teams continue conference play against Hawaii Hilo on Wednesday, Jan. 18. The women’s team plays at 7 p.m. PST, while the men’s team plays at 9:30 p.m. PST.