Women’s basketball narrowly defeats Fresno Pacific

The Eagles win their first game of the season by a slim margin of seven points.

Guard+Aysia+Johnson+dribbles+around+redshirt+sophomore+guard+Esther+Naum+and+her+Fresno+Pacific+opponent.+

Courtesy of Biola Athletics

Guard Aysia Johnson dribbles around redshirt sophomore guard Esther Naum and her Fresno Pacific opponent.

Charlotte McKinley, Freelance Writer

Women’s basketball played against Fresno Pacific University on Dec. 1, in the conference opening game and won, 61-54. The game was a tight one throughout with the Eagles tying the Sunbirds four times throughout the first quarter. Though Fresno scored the first point of the second quarter, Biola came back and built a lead benefitting from Fresno’s fouls. 

After the halftime break, the Sunbirds climbed their way to tie the Eagles 34-34. After getting fouled, sophomore forward Maya Whiteside put Biola ahead 36-34 with two decisive free throws. The fourth quarter started with Biola ahead eight points but Fresno tied the game yet again with four minutes remaining. Biola took the lead and stayed there, winning their first game of the season 61-54.

THE STATS

In a close scoring game, the Eagles were most effective with their free throws, but lagged behind with their 3-point shots and field goals. They were 68.2% effective with their free throws, but their 3-point shots left something to be desired with a 31.6% effective rate. Overall, the Eagles were 44.4% effective with their field goals. 

Biola scored a total of 10 points off turnovers, compared to Fresno’s 11. The Eagles had 28 points in the paint and 20 bench points. The Sunbirds only scored 14 bench points and 16 points in the paint. Biola had 11 second chance points compared to Fresno’s nine. Both the Eagles and the Sunbirds had four fast break points.  

BIOLA STAYS IN THE LEAD

Redshirt junior forward Natasa Radovic fouled a Sunbirds player, thus letting Fresno attempt a free throw. After Fresno missed the free throw, the game continued with Radovic scoring the first two points of the game with a layup. Three and a half minutes into the game, redshirt junior forward Jordan Rabe made a layup and scored her first points of the game; she went on to be the best- performing athlete of the game, making 20 points for Biola. The first quarter was a nail-biter, with Biola finally ending ahead 15-13.

The Sunbirds quickly tied up the score less than 30 seconds into the second quarter, but Biola soon jumped ahead by two points from another layup from Rabe. The Eagles kept their lead over the Sunbirds. but were never ahead more than nine points. The score was 30-24 at the end of the quarter. 

The third quarter saw Fresno catching up to Biola. After back-and-forth scoring, the Sunbirds tied up the game 34-34 with a free throw. Whiteside was fouled and netted two free throws, shooting Biola ahead, keeping the lead the rest of the quarter ending 45-38.

In the final quarter, redshirt sophomore guard Sydney Moran netted a 3-pointer a minute and a half in. Fresno quickly retaliated with a 3-pointer of their own. At 4:12, the Sunbirds tied up the game 50-50. Rabe made two 3-pointer shots in the span of 45 seconds to launch Biola ahead. The game ended with two free throws by Rabe ending the game with a win for Biola, 61-54.

Women’s basketball (1-6 overall, 1-0 conference), will be facing off against Holy Names University in Oakland, Calif., on Dec. 3 at 1 p.m. Footage and stats from the game are located on the Biola Athletics website.