Check out these Fall 2022 blockbuster movies

From beginning to end, the fall semester was full of sensational films and polarizing flicks.

Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

Dwayne Johnson takes on the Justice Society of America in the new superhero film “Black Adam.”

Brendan Peters, Staff Writer

One of the most popular activities for Biola students, besides homework, is undoubtedly going out to see a movie. While those free nights or afternoons can be hard to come by, there was certainly no shortage of opportunities to catch some of the hottest films. Here is a recap of the best movies of fall 2022.

BARBARIAN

Released on Sept. 9, “Barbarian” ended as a surprise favorite in the horror genre. The story is of a young woman who books a house for a weekend, only to find another man booked it too. What ensues is nothing short of shivering with plenty of jump scares to go around — a perfect start to the spooky season. Starring Bill Skarsgaard — Pennywise in “It”— and up-and-coming actress Georgina Campbell, the film will hopefully be a mainstay for horror fans for years to come.

DON’T WORRY DARLING

“Don’t Worry Darling” debuted on September 23 and sparked a firestorm of controversy. Whether or not the end result suffered from it is a different story. You can check out our full review of the film here, but, needless to say, Biola students and audiences everywhere were intrigued from the beginning, especially with the negative hype surrounding the film. Florence Pugh and Harry Styles come together to form a dynamic couple in an idealized suburban community of the 1950s, but naturally, things go awry quickly and the two must pick up the pieces. If nothing else, it is worth checking out for all of the cast and crew drama surrounding it.

BLACK ADAM

Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson is undoubtedly one of the biggest movie stars worldwide, so his introduction into the superhero genre naturally drew crowds. His film “Black Adam,” which had been in development for the better part of a decade, finally debuted on Oct. 21. Johnson effectively captures the powerful anti-hero Black Adam, a character from the DC Comics brand, on screen. His troubled past and the decision to choose a better future for his people carry the movie, and while it received mixed reviews critically, audiences enjoyed the thrill, with epic moments galore. The most exciting part, however, is the post-credits scene, which suggests a possible future showdown between Black Adam and Superman.

BLACK PANTHER: WAKANDA FOREVER

Usually, Marvel movies are superhero action films with a sense of adventure, but Black Panther: Wakanda Foreverbroke the mold. With the sudden passing of Chadwick Boseman, the star of the first “Black Panther” film, director Ryan Coogler had the difficult task of continuing the “Black Panther” story while also paying tribute to the great actor who made the role of T’Challa iconic. 

While Boseman’s shoes will never quite be filled, Wakanda Forever was a wonderful tribute to his legacy, and provided fans with an exciting return to the land of Wakanda. Action and adventure filled almost every scene, but the grief that the characters experience is potent throughout. 

THE FABELMANS

One of the greatest directors of all time, going all the way back to the films that many students’ parents watched, is Steven Spielberg. “The Fabelmans” is perhaps one of Spielberg’s most personal movies. Inspired by the events of his own childhood, it journeys through a young boy’s desire to make movies, and his struggle to communicate that to his parents and family. Watch out for this film come Oscar season.

GLASS ONION: A KNIVES OUT MYSTERY

Lastly, audiences got a sneak peek at Rian Johnson’s anticipated sequel to the 2019 hit “Knives Out” over Thanksgiving weekend. This new murder mystery, titled “Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery,” will release on Netflix on Dec. 23 and will be shown in a limited number of theaters as well. The movie once again takes viewers into the world of detective Benoit Blanc and draws on that Agatha Christie mystery vibe that made the first “Knives Out” so exciting. This is expected to be another streaming success once it debuts on Netflix.

LOOKING AHEAD

The spring semester is packed to the brim with films that are likely to be Biola student favorites, including“Avatar: The Way of Water,” “Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania,” “Shazam: Fury of the Gods,” “John Wick: Chapter 4” and the “Super Mario Bros. Movie.” It appears to be true that Hollywood never rests.