Politics Rundown: Pelosi will step down as House Speaker

Loan payment pause set to extend as court issues continue.

Nancy+Pelosi+announces+she+will+not+run+for+reelection+as+House+Speaker.+

Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

Nancy Pelosi announces she will not run for reelection as House Speaker.

Dalet Valles, News Editor

On Nov. 17, Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives Nancy Pelosi announced that she will step down from her role. Pelosi made history in 2007 as the first female speaker of the House. 

“And with great confidence in our Caucus, I will not seek re-election to Democratic Leadership in the next Congress,” Pelosi said in a speech delivered to the House of Representatives. “For me, the hour has come for a new generation to lead the Democratic Caucus that I so deeply respect.”

Many other politicians remarked on Pelosi’s announcement, including President Joe Biden. 

“She might be stepping down from her leadership role in the House Democratic Caucus, but she will never waver in protecting our sacred democracy,” said President Biden in a statement from the White House

Pelosi will continue to serve in the U.S. Congress as a representative for San Francisco, California. 

LOAN PAYMENT PAUSE EXTENDS

As a result of multiple lawsuits against loan debt relief, President Joe Biden announced on Twitter that he will extend the pause on payments, originally set to restart on Jan. 1, until June 30, 2023. 

Biden took to Twitter to ask the U.S. Supreme Court to reach a decision on the lawsuits. The National Public Radio originally expected rulings to be announced in late October to early November, but they have extended into the holidays. 

“That’s why the Department of Justice is asking the Supreme Court of the United States to rule on the case,” said Biden in his announcement. “But it isn’t fair to ask tens of millions of borrowers eligible for relief to resume their student debt payments while the courts consider the lawsuit.”

Borrowers should expect payments to resume 60 days after the payment pause concludes. If the lawsuits are resolved before June 30, 2023, payments will resume 60 days after the decision is made. 

TRUMP ON PRESIDENTIAL TRACK

Former President Donald Trump announced on Nov. 15 that he will run for president in 2024. This will be Trump’s third bid for president, with previous bids being in 2016 and 2020. He delivered an hour-long speech to attendees in Mar-a-Lago

“In order to make America great again, I am tonight announcing my candidacy for president of the United States,” Trump said in his speech. “This will not be my campaign. This will be our campaign all together.”

In this presidential track, Trump will now have to release his tax return records. The U.S. Supreme Court approved the release to a committee of representatives. Trump was the first president in 40 years to withhold records.