Biola performs well at La Verne Winter Invite

Both Men and Women’s swimming show out strong.

Biola+swimmers+compete+to+win+in+the+pool.++

Haven Luper-Jasso // THE CHIMES (file)

Biola swimmers compete to win in the pool.

Ryan Wingert, Staff Writer

The Eagles competed well in the La Verne Winter Invite on the weekend of Nov. 18-Nov. 20. Biola put up solid performances around the horn in both of the first two days. 

DAY ONE: FRIDAY 

After the first day of the weekend, Biola found itself in good positions in all the events with plenty of races left to come in the weekend. Redshirt junior Liza Parahnevich led the pack for the women in the 200-yard preliminary coming in at 2:05.80. This was good enough for third in the finals. She had the lead for the first three legs, but ultimately was short by 0.5 seconds. Meanwhile, sophomore Jacob Haaksma led the men’s side for Biola. He finished in the top eight, with a time of 1:55.18. 

For the 50-yard freestyle, Biola took sixth and seventh place for men and women respectively. Freshman Noah Taylor grabbed sixth place with his 21.42 time, and redshirt junior Kolya Vos took seventh with her 24.03 time. Overall, Biola ranked fourth for both men and women. The women scored 322.5 total points, and the men scored 333 points by the end of day one. 

DAY TWO: SATURDAY

Biola used several events to tally points in day two, but the 100-yard breaststroke was their big point maker. Three men made the finals in this event, while redshirt junior Anna Haaksma was the women’s representative in the finals. 

The men also made a strong showing in the 200-yard relay event. Redshirt juniors Tanner Smith and Alex Ness joined freshman Sean Rho and Haaksma in the 200-yard relay and the four ended with a combined total time of 6:54:31.

Up next, Biola looks to finish the weekend strong on the final day of events, on Sunday, Nov. 20 at 10 a.m. Stats from the match can be found on the Biola Athletics website.