Red hot Eagles punish the Pioneers

Biola defeats Antelope Valley College at home.

Freshman+guard+Nathan+Medina+jumps+to+score.+

Haven Luper-Jasso//CHIMES

Freshman guard Nathan Medina jumps to score.

Caleb Crawley, Sports Editor

Biola’s men’s basketball team defeated Antelope Valley College 79-53 in their 2022-23 home opener on Monday night. 

Freshman guard Nathan Medina illustrated veteran presence, scoring 19 points to go along with four 3-pointers in his second collegiate game. 

“My teammates go really hard at me during practice. I’ve grown so much since coming to campus — [my teammates] have been a role model for me and have helped me grow a lot.” Medina said when asked about playing a big role for the team as an underclassman. “I feel like I’ve earned [Coach Dave Holmquist’s] trust and I feel like my shooting can help the team.” 

TALE OF THE TURNOVERS

Both teams committed five turnovers in the first half of the game. The Eagles chipped in nine points off the Pioneers’ turnovers. 

The Pioneers took advantage of an 0-5 shooting streak for the Eagles with eight minutes to go before halftime. UAV managed to take 10 points off the Eagles’ lead, but ultimately the home team finished the half with a 30-23 advantage. 

In the second half, Biola’s defense held the Pioneers scoreless through the first four minutes. The Eagles’ defensive efforts translated to offense as they widened the margin to a 16-point lead of 39-23. The offense continued to fire on all cylinders in the second frame, defeating the Pioneers by double digits. 

Redshirt senior guard Alex Wright came close to a triple-double, scoring 19 points with seven rebounds and seven assists. Wright also shot an incredibly efficient 61.5 percent from the field. 

NEXT UP

Biola’s men’s basketball team travels on the road to Cal Poly Pomona on Friday, 11/18 at 4:30 p.m.