Men’s Water Polo ends regular season with road win

Eagles finish season with a 14-10 record.

Haylie Irving/CHIMES (file)

Sophomore goalkeeper Mitchell Carpenter turns to throw.

Ryan Wingert, Staff Writer

On Wednesday, Nov. 9, men’s water polo visited University of Redlands to take on the Bulldogs in the final matchup of the regular season. Biola came in hot off a three-game win streak and clinched their fourth straight victory against Redlands, beating the Bulldogs.

BIOLA IN CONTROL

While the final score was only a two-point advantage for the Eagles, Biola controlled the entire game. The Eagles led the whole way through thanks to opening goals by sophomore utility Nolan Rapp and first-year attacker Gavin Oliver. 

Despite a first quarter goal by the Bulldogs to cut the lead down to 2-1, Biola had a magnificent second quarter to make it a comfortable win. The Eagles played well on both offense and defense, scoring four goals and shutting out the Bulldogs in the quarter. 

BULLDOGS RESPOND

Redlands came into the second half with a strong quarter of their own, outscoring Biola 4-1 in that quarter and cutting the lead down to just two points. Their strong effort in the third quarter, however, was not enough to stop the Eagles, who quickly pushed their lead back up to four on a clutch fourth quarter goal by Gavin Oiler and senior attacker Kenny Wolf each. Wolf’s goal sealed it for the Eagles, as the Bulldogs were unable to come all the way back. 

Up next, Biola looks to take their end of season momentum to the WWPA tournament, where they will open by taking on Fresno Pacific, on Friday, Nov. 18 at 9 a.m. Stats from the match can be found on the Biola Athletics website.