Midterm elections come to a close

Millions of voters around the United States cast their ballots.

Voters+reelected+Gavin+Newsom+to+his+second+term+as+governor+of+California.+

Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

Voters reelected Gavin Newsom to his second term as governor of California.

Dalet Valles, News Editor

As polls closed for nationwide midterm elections, many voters rushed to cast their ballots for state and local elections. In these general elections, California voters elected a governor, attorney general, Los Angeles mayor, Los Angeles County sheriff, senators and representatives

Candidates around the U.S. urged people to vote. Unlike presidential elections, these state and local elections impact individuals on a more personal level. 

“Midterms are the elections that affect [a person’s] state more directly,” said sophomore political science major Annette Molina. “We have to vote for those in order to make a change that we want.” 

A variety of businesses offered voters an incentive to go to the polls. Lyft was offering discounted rides to poll locations and back. Nov. 8, also known as Election Day, brought many to the polls for their last-minute votes. Voters had the opportunity to cast their ballot until Tuesday at 8 p.m. 

NEWSOM RE-ELECTED GOVERNOR

After facing a recall on Sept. 14, Gov. Gavin Newsom went back on the ballot and was re-elected to his second term as California’s governor. Newsom received 61.7% of the vote while his opponent Brian Dahle only received 38.3%. 

PROPOSITIONS PASSED

California voters decided on several propositions. Voters — 76.4% — voted yes on Proposition 31, which will block most sales of flavored tobacco in stores and vending machines. Proposition 28 received a ‘yes’ majority with 64.3% of the vote. This proposition will provide public schools with additional funds for art education. Other propositions have yet to be finalized. 

HOUSE AND SENATE

Alex Padilla won the seat for senator, becoming the first elected Latino senator for California. Padilla beat his competitor, Mark Meuser, with 62.7 % of the vote. As of right now, very few representatives — Jared Huffman, John Garamendi, Nancy Pelosi, Barbara Lee and Eric Swalwell — have been confirmed. Remaining results are still being finalized.