Volleyball subdues the Sharks

The Eagles dominate Hawaii Pacific three sets to none.
Redshirt senior setter Abby Brewster crouches to set the ball.
Photo courtesy of Haylie Irving//CHIMES (file)

Biola’s women’s volleyball team continued their road trip at Hawaii Pacific, winning three sets to none. Senior outside hitter Madison Beebe led Biola’s offense with eight kills en route to a sweep over the Sharks. 

EFFICIENT OFFENSIVE ATTACK

The first set reached a 7-7 stalemate midway through the frame. Beebe’s three recorded kills sparked a seven-point rally for the Eagles, which propelled them to a first-set victory. 

The second set was much closer than the opening set. Hawaii Pacific recorded three straight points which tied the match at 22. Beebe responded to the Sharks’ rally with a kill of her own, which shifted the momentum back to the Eagles’ side. Redshirt senior setter Abby Brewster’s perfect ace secured the second match for Biola 25-22. 

The Eagles continued their offensive success in the third and final set of the match, winning 25-14. Biola recorded a match-high 16 kills in the final frame without committing a single attack error. 

Redshirt senior Emily Smith contributed to the Eagles’ efficiency on offense by providing 12 total kills and a solo block. 

Biola continues their road trip in Hawaii as they take on Hawaii Hilo on Saturday at 10 p.m. PST.

About the Contributor
Caleb Crawley
Caleb Crawley, Sports Editor
Caleb Crawley is a junior Interdisciplinary Studies major who enjoys attending sporting events, playing intramural sports and exploring Los Angeles. [email protected] I was born and raised in Fortuna, a small Northern California town located in Humboldt County. Humboldt is an area known for its scenic nature, beaches, redwood forests and our Victorian village known as Ferndale, CA.  Growing up in Northern California during the 2010’s San Francisco Giants dynasty made it easy to fall in love with baseball. Nearly every night I would be glued to the television after my Little League games watching my beloved Giants. At the time I could name every single player on their roster, as well as their batting average. Needless to say, my childhood revolved around the game as I was either playing, watching, or reading about baseball. This passion carried me throughout my high school and community college careers, in which I was on the baseball team during my time at both institutions.  I am elated to bring my love for sports to the Chimes and look forward to the opportunity to tell the stories of Biola athletes from the perspective of a former collegiate baseball player as well as an avid life-long sports fan.