Soccer takes a swipe at the Silverswords

Biola shows out in 6-0 win over Chaminade.

Redshirt+junior+forward+Mason+Stansberry+vies+with+the+defender+for+control+of+the+ball.+

Haylie Irving//CHIMES (file)

Redshirt junior forward Mason Stansberry vies with the defender for control of the ball.

Colin Twisselmann, Freelance Writer

On Oct. 24, the Biola men’s team (6-3-6, 6-0-3) lit up the scoreboard 6-0 in a resounding victory over conference rival the Chaminade Silverswords. (2-7-2, 2-4-1)

The goal scored in the 1st minute set the tone for plays to come as Biola led 1-0 early on and took an astonishing 30 shots throughout the game. Star junior forward Kristian Colaci piled onto the lead quickly with his 13th score of the season and fourth straight game with a goal, giving the Eagles an early 2-0 advantage. Biola kept the pressure on the Silversword defenders as they added to their lead with only 13 minutes in the game.

Biola continued their aggressive shot making for the remainder of the half putting up five more shots. Redshirt junior goalie JD Gunn kept Chaminade scoreless, saving a shot at the end of the half.

MEN’S SOCCER PILES ON TO THEIR LEAD

Biola continued their dominance as they scored again just four minutes into the second half and brought the score to an overwhelming 4-0. Not only was the lead increased for the Eagles, but their relentless pressure on the Silverswords did not waver as they put up 11 shots in 13 minutes. Biola kept the ball in Chaminade territory and kept their defenders on their toes.

Biola put the game even more out of reach as they scored the fifth and sixth goals within the last five minutes. Biola remains unbeaten in conference play and remains at the top of the conference.

The team looks ahead to their next game on Halloween for senior night against Hawaii Pacific  at 7 p.m. 

WOMEN’S SOCCER OUTLASTS CHAMINADE

Biola’s women’s soccer (4-10-1, 3-5) outdueled the Chaminade Silverswords 1-0 (7-4-2, 4-1-2) on Oct. 24 in an impressive, closely contested win.

Much of the first half of this game called on Biola’s defense to keep them in it, and freshman goalie Savanna Tavares more than rose to the occasion, recording three saves and preventing the Silverswords from using their time of possession to their advantage.  Chaminade took eight total shots in the first half alone and had five corner kicks to Biola’s one in the entire game. 

Coming out of the second half, Biola finally got moving on offense as within 21 seconds First-year forward Peyton Nelson scored her fourth goal of the season, giving Biola a crucial 1-0 lead. 

DEFENSE RULES THE DAY

Tavares recorded two more saves, the first in the 66th minute and the second in the 87th minute with the result of the game on the line holding off the Silversword’s comeback bid.

Facing an upstart team such as Chaminade and escaping with a win was a testament to the Eagles’ stellar defense as well as the determination to keep a lead throughout the second half once they scored early. 

Biola looks ahead to face Hawaii Pacific on Oct. 31 at 4 p.m.