Students prioritize well-being during Mental Health Awareness Week

Biola invites the community to reflect on mental wellness.

THE CHIMES (file)

Students use Mental Health Awareness Week to destress and refresh.

Dalet Valles and Phoebe Vrable

Mental Health Awareness Week encouraged faculty, staff and students to “decompress, learn and grow” through multiple activities and events. This year, the theme was Puzzled: Finding Peace in the Pieces. Stress, anxiety and depression consume pieces of many college students’ lives, but throughout this week, Biolans addressed their mental well-being in safe spaces around campus. Hosted by the Office of Student Wellness and Student Development, Biola observed this week by scheduling activities such as a doughnut chapel, live music and bingo. 

THE RUNDOWN

On Monday, Oct. 17, a morning chapel titled Abound by Lisa Igram was held in Sutherland Auditorium. It addressed what it means for Christians to “abound more and more in knowledge and all discernment,” as Paul commands in Philippians. After chapel, Biolans enjoyed doughnuts and listened to a debrief. 

Peer Wellness Ambassadors Haven Luper-Jasso and Daisy Perrigan hosted a live music event on Tuesday night at the Fireside Pavilion. Perrigan and Luper-Jasso sang their original songs during their own separate performances. The music selections included a mix of both worship-style and original songs. 

On the morning of Oct. 19, students welcomed guest speaker and Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist Willa Williams at Sutherland Auditorium for chapel. Williams spoke on foundational practices to improve mental well-being. 

The Mental Health and Well-Being Playground on Wednesday afternoon included hands-on experiences for the community. The lineup included free food, activity stations and blank thank-you notes for students to write to their professors. Complementary journals were also provided for students to take home. 

On Thursday night, students played Bingo on Metzger Lawn — and earned giveaways and popcorn.  

RESOURCES FOR THE COMMUNITY

During chapels this week, Biola promoted several resources for students, staff and faculty. The Biola Counseling Center, through a video made by the team, informed the audience of drop-in hours, individual counseling and pastoral care along with many other resources for students. 

Correction: October 21, 2022

An earlier version of this article misspelled the name of one of the Peer Wellness Ambassadors. She is Daisy Perrigan, not Daisy Parrigan.