Eagles take on the Golden Eagles

Biola ties Concordia 2-2.

Redshirt+junior+goalkeeper+JD+Gunn+sets+up+to+launch+the+ball+downfield.+

Courtesy of Biola Athletics

Redshirt junior goalkeeper JD Gunn sets up to launch the ball downfield.

Colin Twisselmann, Freelance Writer

Men’s soccer tied the Concordia Golden Eagles in a thrilling and foul-filled game 2-2 last Saturday and brought Biola’s record to (4-3-5) and Concordia’s to (3-7-2).

The game tested Biola early on as less than seven minutes into the game, Concordia’s Miguel Pena scored his first goal of the 2022 season and had the Golden Eagles up 1-0. The game intensified as players committed 10 fouls within the first 30 minutes and Biola received two yellow cards in the 32nd minute. 

To make matters worse for Biola, sophomore midfielder Koa Markham took the ball all the way to the goal from midfield past Biola goalie JD Gunn, which gave Concordia a daunting 2-0 lead — and a huge edge — before the halftime break. 

COLACI TIES IT UP

The 10 fouls in the first half did not end there: the physicality of this game (17 fouls for each team by the end of the match) ended up in Biola’s favor later on. Following a yellow card, midfielder Theo Le Calve drilled the penalty kick, giving Biola a fighting chance as the score changed to 2-1.

Reliable forward Kristian Colaci emerged in the closing minutes of the game to knot the score at 2-2 and keep Biola undefeated in conference play, bringing his season goal total to double digits at ten and securing the tie.  

Biola looks ahead to a road game against their chronicled rivals the Azusa Pacific Cougars on Wednesday, Oct. 19 with the hopes of dominating PacWest Conference standings, trailing only Point Loma