Biola soccer hosts Point Loma

Eagles face the Sea Lions.
Senior midfielder Travis Coombs dribbles away from the Point Loma defender.
Haylie Irving

Biola University’s men’s and women’s soccer teams continued conference play at home against Point Loma on Wednesday night. The men’s team tied the Sea Lions 0-0; meanwhile, the women’s team lost 2-1. 

SCORELESS MATCH 

Redshirt junior goalkeeper JD Gunn recorded two saves in the first frame as PLNU let off seven shots. The entirety of the first half resulted in a defensive lockout, giving way to an intense second half. The final frame saw superb defensive efforts from both sides, denying either team from capitalizing on scoring opportunities. Redshirt senior midfielder Aidan Hill came close to chipping in the winning score with ten seconds remaining — however, he narrowly missed high of the goal. 

Gunn added three more crucial saves in the second half, preserving the shutout against the Sea Lions. Defenders Izaac Zausch, Haiko Hovak, Nathan Kolvacik and Jakob Schnitzer aided Gunn’s impressive defensive performance by playing 90 total minutes in the match. 

The Eagles’ undefeated conference record (3-0-1) remains intact as they visit Concordia University Irvine on Oct. 15 at 6:30 p.m. 

SEA LIONS OFFENSE STRIKES

Point Loma’s offense shot 19 total times to Biola’s eight shots, setting the tone in Wednesday’s match. As a result, the Sea Lions scored in the 10th minute for the lone goal of the first frame. After halftime, PLNU added to the Eagles deficit by chipping in another goal, making the score 2-0. 

Biola remained scoreless until redshirt junior forward Mason Stansberry scored in the 75th minute. Stansberry gathered redshirt junior forward Christine Maranville’s pass and found the net off the assist. The Eagles late offensive spark came up short as a result of the Sea Lions strong defensive front, losing by a lone goal 2-1. 

Redshirt sophomore goalie Anna Boyer recorded a career-high nine saves in Wednesday’s match, contributing to her season total. 

The Eagles continue conference play at Concordia University Irvine on Oct. 15 at 3:30 p.m.