Library Makerspace inspires ingenuity

The Makerspace welcomes new staff and expands equipment.

The+Library+Makerspace+provides+3D+printers%2C+among+other+types+of+production+equipment%2C+to+encourage+student+creativity.+

Courtesy of Unsplash

The Library Makerspace provides 3D printers, among other types of production equipment, to encourage student creativity.

Phoebe Vrable, News Editor

Biola’s Library Makerspace is responding to the desire of students on campus who want to learn tactile production skills. With a variety of sewing machines, 3D printers, computer software, Cricut machines and image transfer equipment, there is a wide range of tools available for students. 

According to The Biola Library, Makerspace seeks to “provide a space for all members of the Biola community to receive training to tinker, experiment, design, build, learn, succeed, make mistakes in a judgment-free environment.” It facilitates the application of skills to hands-on projects. Additionally, the staff is encouraged to build relationships with and mentor students, especially within STEM fields. 

NEW THIS SEMESTER 

While the Library Makerspace has thrived since its beginning in 2021, this semester it has grown significantly, with plans for the future well underway. Last month, a generous patron and Biola alumna donated hundreds of dollars worth of equipment to the Library Makerspace, including a professional heat press with the ability to transfer images onto mugs and hats after closing her Etsy store. The Library Makerspace also started to collect visitor data including their major and year, so they can plan curated workshops. 

PLANS FOR THE FUTURE 

Sophomore cinema and media arts major Anjoli Person said that particularly this semester, the Library Makerspace has grown significantly, especially now that more people know about it. She also attributed their recent growth to an increase in new faculty, which has helped to spread the word. As a CMA student, Person appreciates the unique skills and perspective that she brings to the Makerspace, noting that having different majors helps to add variety to the atmosphere. 

“Our goal is to also get into the curriculum classes and so far we’ve managed to do that, ” said Manager of Library Information Technology Simon Heres. “We’ve had three first year seminar classes come in. Professors have reached out to us. Then an entrepreneurship class — a graduate class professor had her students come in last week and she’s going to … assign a project that they have to use … three different technologies in the makerspace.” 

This November, the Library Makerspace will celebrate their one year anniversary, where they will host five days of activities in honor of their opening. 

Students seeking to be involved with the Makerspace can drop in on weekdays between 9 a.m. and 5 a.m. with updated hours posted on the door. “It’s a place where they [students] can come and try some of our new technologies, learn some new skills, and fail at it — and that’s fine,” said Heres. “That’s part of learning and growing.”