Enneagram reveals unique personality types

The Enneagram Personality Test helps people better understand themselves.

The+Enneagram+test+is+a+tool+for+people+to+learn+about+themselves+and+connect+with+others.+

Courtesy of Unsplash

The Enneagram test is a tool for people to learn about themselves and connect with others.

Noel Sassoon, Opinions Editor

The journey of getting to know oneself is arguably one of the most important elements of the human experience. For many around the world, the long-standing question of “Who am I?” plagues their existence. The Enneagram Personality Test is a popular method used to answer that question. 

WHAT THE ENNEAGRAM IS 

According to Truity, a website that conducts personality and career tests, the Enneagram is “a system of personality typing that describes patterns in how people interpret the world and manage their emotions.” Within the Enneagram are nine different personality types, each of which revolve around a unique core trait that describes how that personality relates to the world and others. 

Truity claims that the Enneagram can help individuals understand why they behave the way that they do, as well as how they behave under stress. Ideally, the Enneagram will help people identify certain behaviors to improve so that they can maintain a healthier relationship with the world and others around them. 

A TOOL FOR GROWTH 

In an article published by Bustle, a study revealed that Enneagram Institute’s Riso-Hudson Enneagram Type Indicator (RHETI) had an accuracy rate of 72%. The article states that “studies concluded the instrument as scientifically ‘valid and reliable’ as a test instrument with ‘solid psychometrics.’ The internal consistency reliability scores show that the RHETI ranges from 56 [percent] to 82 [percent] accurate on various types; with an overall accuracy of 72 [percent].” 

The Enneagram Personality Test, as it turns out, is popular among Biola’s student body.  

Nate Banister, a senior CMA major, said that he believes the Enneagram can be useful for those who are looking to grow. 

“I find that it’s a tool,” Banister said. “It’s something that can help you see growth in yourself and other people. My experience with the Enneagram has been relatively positive, but it can get toxic when you base people off of their number solely and don’t allow them to grow outside of that.” 

Overall, it certainly seems like those who take the Enneagram test are satisfied with their assigned number. It is also evident that, for many, the Enneagram can help people learn intricate details about themselves and their loved ones, which can help them grow and better relate to the world and those close to them.