Eagles sweep conference matchup

Men’s and women’s soccer teams defeat Academy of Art.

THE CHIMES//FILE

Redshirt senior defender Haiko Hovak throws the ball back in to the field of play.

Caleb Crawley, Sports Editor

Both Biola’s men’s and women’s soccer teams won their conference matches against Academy of Art on Thursday. The men’s team defeated the Urban Knights 4-1; meanwhile the women’s team earned a 4-0 victory. 

SECOND HALF OFFENSE

The men’s squad found the net four times en route to their conference victory. Sophomore midfielder Matteo Napoletano chipped in Biola’s first goal in the 20th minute. Four minutes later, the Urban Knights tied the contest 1-1. Sophomore defender Jakob Schnitzler scored the go-ahead goal minutes before halftime leading 2-1. The Eagles scored two goals in the second half, beginning with Napoletano’s second score of the match. Redshirt sophomore Adam Jones completed the second half offensive outburst by finding the net off a ricocheted corner kick. 

Redshirt junior JD Gunn continued his impressive season by recording three saves and facing 10 shots from the Urban Knights. 

OFFENSE OUTSHOOTS URBAN KNIGHTS

The women’s team outshot Academy of Art 22-5, with 15 of those fired in the first half. Freshman defender Marjie Rechin’s 34th minute goal began Biola’s scoring, putting her team ahead 1-0. Redshirt senior midfielder Catrina Gonzales scored the Eagles’ second goal in the 40th minute by chipping in a pass from redshirt junior forward Ella Hiveley. Redshirt sophomore forward Abby Chavez’s goal completed the first half scoring trifecta, widening the score margin 3-0. The Eagles secured victory over the Urban Knights when redshirt junior forward Christine Maranville scored the final goal in the 60th minute of the match. 

Redshirt sophomore Anna Boyer and freshman Savanna Taveres split time at goalkeeper to record a combined shutout against ART U. 

Both men’s and women’s teams face off against Dominican on Saturday, Oct. 8th. The women’s team plays first at 12 p.m. Meanwhile, the men’s squad enters Saturday’s match undefeated in conference play, as do the Penguins, and will kick off at 2:30 p.m.