Conservatory hosts fall faculty recital

Dr. Li-shan Hung, director of piano at Biola, presents a thought-provoking and crowd-pleasing performance.

Brendan Peters, Staff Writer

Every semester, Biola’s Conservatory of Music gets the rare opportunity to feature one of its own faculty members in recital. On Saturday, the Conservatory featured Dr. Li-shan Hung, professor and director of piano at Biola. The recital program featured selected pieces by Bach, Schubert, Chopin and Brahms, showcasing Dr. Hung’s talent for both beautiful lyrical playing and technical proficiency.

BEAUTY TAKES MANY FORMS

The recital weaved together beautiful themes of nature and friendship, as Dr. Hung took to the microphone before each piece to set the scene. Before the Schubert piece, for example, she encouraged the audience to picture themselves in the Swiss Alps where Schubert might have resided, hearing the sound of children playing in nature. 

One particular anecdote that held a special meaning was prior to Brahms’ Variations on a Theme by Handel. Brahms gave this piece as a birthday gift to Clara Schumann, wife of composer Robert Schumann and an astute composer in her own right, after her husband’s passing. Dr. Hung received a standing ovation for her wonderful performance and concluded the concert with an encore.

Faculty recitals present a fantastic opportunity for not just music students, but students from across campus to experience the talents of Biola’s own faculty. Dr. Hung’s performance was certainly a memorable addition to the long legacy of artful recitals at the Conservatory.