Colaci leads Eagles to win over rival

Eagles shut out Cougars 3-0.

Freshman+defender+Mayrhonn+Serefio+takes+the+ball+downfield.+

Kate Bomar//FILE

Freshman defender Mayrhonn Serefio takes the ball downfield.

Caleb Crawley, Sports Editor

On Wednesday night fans packed the stands at Al Barbour Field to watch the Biola men’s soccer team take on PacWest rival Azusa Pacific. The Eagles channeled their frustration from a difficult start to the season, shutting out the Cougars 3-0. With Wednesday’s victory over Azusa, the Eagles captured their first win of the season and improved Biola’s record to 2-0 in the 2022-23 Cornerstone Cup Rivalry Series

COLACI’S CONSISTENCY CONTINUES

Biola’s offense took advantage of scoring opportunities as junior forward Kristian Colaci chipped in the first goal of the contest in the 17th minute, giving the Eagles an early lead. The early advantage over Azusa proved to be more than enough fuel for Biola’s offensive momentum, as the Eagles widened the margin with two more goals in the second half. 

An Azusa Pacific yellow card allowed redshirt senior defender Izaac Zausch to find the net for his first goal of the season in the 67th minute of the match. Colaci scored once again in the 77th minute to record his second multi-goal game for Biola University. 

Colaci’s performance in Wednesday’s match gives him a team leading total of six goals scored this season. The junior forward’s impressive scoring abilities ranks him in the top twenty in goals scored in Division II men’s soccer. 

Redshirt junior goalkeeper JD Gunn recorded three total saves in Wednesday’s match and continues to be a consistent defensive presence for the Eagles. 

Biola continues their season against Concordia University Irvine on Saturday, Sept. 24th.