Volleyball dominates against Holy Names University and Dominican University

The Eagles crush the Hawks 3-1 and the Penguins 3-0.

Sophomore+right+side+Anna+Aubele+jumps+to+block+and+senior+outside+hitter+Emily+Smith+crouches+to+defend+as+Dominican+sets+the+ball.+

Kate Bomar//CHIMES

Sophomore right side Anna Aubele jumps to block and senior outside hitter Emily Smith crouches to defend as Dominican sets the ball.

Charlotte McKinley, Staff Writer

On Sept. 16, women’s volleyball played against Holy Names University and won 3-1. The following day, they decimated Dominican University 3-0.

A TIGHT GAME

The Eagles totaled 54 kills, 3 aces, 11 blocks and 71 digs. Sophomore right side Anna Aubele led offense with 15 kills followed by redshirt junior outside blocker Dominique Kirton with 12 kills. Redshirt senior setter Abby Brewster had 42 assists and first-year defense specialist Bri Bellfi contributed to defense with 22 digs.

Biola came out strong in the first set, keeping well ahead of Holy Names. The first set ended 25-16. Eager to replicate their win, the Eagles scored the first three points before the Hawks had a chance to score. Not taking kindly to losing the previous set, the Hawks came back with a vengeance and took the second set 21-25. The teams were neck and neck for the first half of the third set, but Biola pulled ahead with a score of 25-19. There was no contest as the Eagles soared over the Hawks’ score in the final set 25-11

The Eagles beat the Hawks 3-1.

DOMINICAN NOT UP FOR THE PRESSURE

The Eagles totaled 30 kills, 16 aces, 3 blocks and 24 digs. Aubele once again led offense with eight kills followed by Kirton with five kills. Brewster had 20 assists. Bellfi contributed to defense with six digs.

Despite the Penguins scoring the first point after capitalizing on a service error Brewster made, the Eagles rapidly scored the next nine points of the game. Dominican could not keep up and lost the first set to Biola 25-15. A force on the courts, the Eagles scored the first four points and went on to replicate a second win, scoring 25-16. In the final set, Biola remained undefeated at home when they beat Dominican 25-15.

The Eagles beat the Penguins 3-0.

Women’s volleyball (6-5) will face off against Concordia Irvine University at home on Sept. 21 at 6 p.m. Footage and stats from the game are located on the Biola Athletics website.