Remarkable Rechin rallies women’s soccer to victory

The Eagles defeat the Coyotes 3-2.

Caleb Crawley, Sports Editor

Freshman forward Marjie Rechin’s first two collegiate goals resulted in an Eagles victory with a packed crowd in attendance at Al Barbour Field Wed. night. Biola’s defense held strong in the final minutes of the second half to defeat Cal State San Bernardino 3-2. 

OFFENSE OPENS WITH SCORE

Biola came out of the gate with the first goal of the match by way of a Peyton Nelson assist to Rechin resulting in a 1-0 lead in the 21st minute of the first half. Minutes after, the Coyotes scored, which tied the match at 1-1. San Bernardino then scored a second goal with merely 11 seconds remaining in the first half to hold a 2-1 lead.

EAGLES EDGE COYOTES IN SECOND HALF

The Eagles responded early in the second half as Sarah Freed netted the tying goal for Biola, courtesy of an Abby Chavez pass in the 47th minute. Biola maintained their momentum and preserved possession of the ball throughout the second half. In the 63rd minute of the contest, Chavez assisted Rechin’s second goal to secure the victory for the Eagles with a score of 3-2. 

STRONG SECOND HALF DEFENSE

Redshirt Sophomore Anna Boyer headlined a strong Biola defense that held CSUSB scoreless in the second half. The Eagle’s goalie recorded four total saves in the match to supplement an offense that was firing on all cylinders to win their 2022 home debut. With the victory, the Eagles improved their record to (1-1-1) and will travel to play against Stanislaus State on Saturday, Sep. 3rd at 4:30 pm.