Women’s water polo wrap up their regular season with a win

The Eagles soar as they defeat the Sunbirds once again, 11-10.

Natalie Hernandez, Sports Editor

On April 14, women’s water polo returned home for their last conference home game of the season. The Eagles ended their inaugural season with a hard earned win over the Fresno Pacific University Sunbirds, 11-10.

FLY EAGLES FLY

FPU quickly gained a two-point lead in the first period as they overcame the Eagles’ defense. With five minutes left in the first period sophomore attacker Kourtney Pyle shot the first goal for BU. Pyle followed with another goal to tie the game at two points. The Sunbirds responded by switching the lead but the Eagles continued to fight, tying the game once again as freshman attacker Veralie Naranjo scored another goal for BU. 

To start the second period freshman utility player Lizzy Birch and graduate student attacker Hanna Jordan added to the score, giving Biola a two-point lead. The match was tied a total of five times as the Eagles went head to head with the Sunbirds.

FIGHT TO THE FINISH

Going into the second half Biola added to their lead but FPU was able to catch up. With only 30 seconds left in the third period Pyle broke the tie once again. To fire off the last period redshirt sophomore utility player Rachel Spadt scored, putting the score at 10-8. Pyle continued to be a crucial player in the offense as she sealed the deal, putting the score at 11-9. 

The Sunbirds were unable to catch up as the Eagles won, 11-10.

Women’s water polo (11-15 overall, 4-2 conference) will compete against Gannon University for the WWPA Conference Tournament in Fresno, California on April 22. Stats from Friday’s match are located on the Biola Athletics website.