Baseball defeated by Point Loma

The Eagles lose another doubleheader against the Sea Lions.

Natalie Hernandez, Sports Editor

Baseball headed to San Diego, California on April 1 to compete against the Point Loma Nazarene University Sea Lions. The Eagles were unable to score a point in the first doubleheader of the weekend. 

BU returned home April 2 to face off against Point Loma once again at home. In the end Point Loma took it all, winning game one, 7-4, and game two, 6-5. 

CRUSHED BY POINT LOMA

Point Loma started off the first game scoring two runs at the bottom of the first, putting them in an early lead. The Eagles were able to get their first hit at the top of the fourth but struck out with no luck. The Sea Lions continued to add to their lead, leaving the Eagles in the dust. Point Loma defeated the Eagles, 7-0.

In the second game the first two innings remained scoreless for both teams. At the bottom of the third inning Point Loma broke the silence as they were able to score four runs. The Eagles struggled to decrease the point gap. PLNU continued to add to their score and won the game at the bottom of the seventh inning. The Eagles lost, 9-0.

FIGHT TO THE FINISH

The Eagles returned home on April 2 to compete against Point Loma once again. The Eagles improved on day two against the Sea Lions. At the top of the first inning Point Loma fired off the competition with a total of four runs. The Eagles responded at the bottom of the second when redshirt sophomore first baseman Wyatt Duncan hit a home run.

The remainder of the game continued to be an exchange of points as sophomore outfielder Brenden Bell hit to infield sending in redshirt sophomore catcher Taylor Justus to score another point for BU. At the bottom of the fourth the Eagles were only down by two and hoping to catch up. Senior infielder Oscar Serratos Jr. and Bell added to the score as they both hit home runs for the Eagles. In the end the Sea Lions took the win, 7-4.

SO CLOSE

The Eagles started off game two on a high note, gaining the lead at the bottom of the first inning when Duncan hit to right field sending Serratos to third and junior outfielder Tyler Baca in to score the first point of the game. Biola remained in the lead to the bottom of third as Serratos hit a home run, putting the Eagles in a two-point lead. At the top of the fourth Point Loma came back swinging as they scored five points switching the lead, 5-2.

The fifth inning remained scoreless for both teams and the Sea Lions were unable to score at the top of the sixth inning. The Eagles came in fighting with three more home runs from Bell, Duncan and freshman infielder Bobby Brown, tying the game 5-5.

At the top of the eighth inning PLNU added to their score and took the lead. Despite the great team effort from the Eagles, the Sea Lions won, 6-5.

Baseball (12-16 overall, 8-4 conference) will return home to go against Concordia University Irvine for a doubleheader on April 8 at 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. Stats from today’s game are located on the Biola Athletics website.