Women’s water polo loses to the Bears

The Eagles fight to the finish and fall, 19-14.

Natalie Hernandez, Sports Editor

On April 2, women’s water polo headed to Commerce, California to face off against the Brown University Bears. The Eagles played strong from the start, tying the game multiple times. Despite fighting to the end the Eagles lost, 19-14.

STARTING OFF STRONG

Brown started off the competition with the first goal but freshman attacker Veralie Naranjo quickly responded tying the score. The first period continued to be an exchange of goals and lead changes. By the end of the first period the Eagles were only down by two points.

In the second period the Eagles scored five goals and the Bears made six. With one second left on the clock graduate student attacker Hanna Jordan snagged one last goal, going into the half 12-9.

DOWN THE DEEP END

In the second half the Bears scored a total of seven goals, while the Eagles added five more points to the board. Jordan and redshirt sophomore Rachel Spadt added two goals in the third period. In an effort to catch up, sophomore utility player Maria Roldan Gonzalez scored two goals and sophomore attacker Kourtney Pyle scored one goal in the fourth period.

In the end the Bears overpowered the Eagles as they lost, 19-14.

Women’s water polo (9-15 overall, 1-1 conference) will compete against Fresno Pacific University April 2 at 2 p.m. in Fresno, California. Footage and stats from the game are located on the Biola Athletics website