Softball splits in doubleheader versus Hawaii Hilo

The Eagles secured a win in the ninth inning but lost the second game, 5-2.

Natalie Hernandez, Sports Editor

On March 29, softball competed against the University of Hawaii at Hilo in a doubleheader at home. The Eagles were set to compete against the Vulcans for four games but the competition on March 28 was canceled due to rain. 

NINTH INNING WIN

The first eight innings were uneventful with no runs earned on either side. At the bottom of the ninth inning the Eagles broke the silence and scored a run. Redshirt junior left-handed pitcher Jennifer Morinishi hit a single to left center, sending redshirt sophomore infielder Rilee Ruvalcaba to second base and freshman utility Hailey Paull to home. 

The Eagles made a comeback and won, 1-0.

VULCANS CLAW THE EAGLES

The Vulcans made the first run of the second game at the top of the first inning, making the score 1-0. The Eagles were unable to get any hits at the bottom of the first inning. The Vulcans attacked again in the third inning, adding another run to their lead.

At the bottom of the fifth inning the Eagles scored two runs and tied the game 2-2. Sophomore outfielder Allie Beck hit a single to left center field, sending redshirt junior outfielder Maddison Blossey in to score and Ruvalcaba reached home on a throwing error. 

The next three innings remained scoreless, but the tie was broken by Hawaii Hilo as they made three runs in the ninth inning. The Eagles were unable to make any hits or score a run to decrease the deficit and lost, 5-2.

Softball (18-13 overall, 13-9 conference) will compete in the Tournament of Champions on April 1-2 starting at 2 p.m. Stats from today’s game are located on the Biola Athletics website.