Softball dominates Chaminade in doubleheader

The Eagles sharpened their game against the Silverswords.

Natalie Willis, Editor-in-Chief

On March 26, softball faced off in a doubleheader against the Chaminade University Silverswords at home.The Eagles swept their opponent in both games, winning 8-0 and 5-3.  

MIGHTIER THAN THE SWORD

The Eagles started the game off strong with a homer from redshirt junior outfielder Sicili Brittingham, ending the inning with a one-point advantage. The bottom of the second inning saw an aggressive offense with a double to the right side by freshman utility player Hailey Paull brought in a run for freshman catcher Bridgette Trujillo. 

The runs continued to flood in during the bottom of the second with Paull batted in by a double from redshirt junior outfielder Jennifer Morinishi. An error by the Silversword’s left field later allowed Morinishi to run in. A single to right side brought sophomore outfielder Allie Beck in for the last run of the inning. 

Neither team scored for the next three innings, but Biola came in strong at the bottom of the sixth when a single from Beck brought in two runners—Paull and redshirt sophomore infielder Rilee Ruvalcaba advanced the Eagles to 7-0. The last run of the game came as a result of a single to right field by Kaitlyn Hawkins that brought Morinishi home, ending the game at 8-0.

SWORDS COULDN’T CUT IT

The Eagles came out on top again in the second game. After the Silverswords earned their first run of the day at the top of the first, the Eagles were quick to counter their efforts. A single to center field by Brittingham brought in a run from Morinishi. Brittingham later scored off of a triple to right field by Hawkins. 

The Eagles earned two more runs at the bottom of the fourth. Trujillo homered, bringing sophomore catcher Brie Nowak and herself in. The Silverswords combatted this in the fifth inning with two runs of their own, but Trujilio’s double to the left side brought Brittingham in, effectively taking the game from Chaminade. The next two innings remained scoreless and the Eagles won overall, 5-3. 

Softball (17-12 overall, 12-8 conference) will face off against University of Hawaii at Hilo in a doubleheader on March 29 at 12 p.m. and 2 p.m. Stats from today’s game are located on the Biola Athletics website.