Track and field takes four event wins

The Eagles competed at Cal Poly Invitational and Titus and Ely Meet, taking home multiple personal records.

Amanda Frese, Managing Editor

Track and field competed in San Luis Obispo, California at the Cal Poly Invitational on March 25 and 26, as well as in Irvine, California on March 26 at the Titus and Ely Meet. Though the weekend was event-filled, it did not stop the Eagles from taking home four event wins, including multiple personal records in both competitions. 

TOP SCORERS

Senior jumper Rebeka Preston competed in both field and short distance events, marking in multiple top placements throughout the invitational. With her personal best throw of 35.33 meters, Preston took first place in the javelin event. She also placed fourth in the long jump event, marking 5.34 meters and placed third in triple jump at 11.91 meters. She came in ninth place in the women’s 100 meter hurdles with a time of 15.49 seconds. 

Also placing first, junior jumper Hanna Bevan recorded 1.65 meters in the high jump, matching her personal record. Junior jumper Troy Yarter also competed in the javelin throw, placing fifth with a throw of 51.79 meters. At the Titus and Ely Meet, junior thrower Sara Chao marked 34.22 meters in the javelin throw event, her personal best. 

TOP RUNNERS 

The Eagles championed the women’s 800 meter, with multiple top placements and personal records. Senior distance runner Hannah Champness placed first in the event with a time of 2:17.32 minutes. Senior middle distance runner Kenzie Elliott followed close behind, taking second place with a time of 2:19.75 minutes. Freshman middle distance runner Jordan Gossett placed fourth at 2:21.02 and redshirt sophomore distance runner Hailey Schadt placed sixth at 2:24.38 minutes. 

In the men’s 200 meter event, freshman sprinter Cole Muller placed first with a time of 22.15 seconds. Taking second place in the men’s 800 meter event, senior sprinter Matthias Davis recorded a time of 49.19 seconds. Competing in Irvine in the women’s 10,000 meter run, freshman distance runner Liliana Sosa finished in second place with a time of 41:55.41. 

Track and field will return on Thursday to compete at the Mike Fanelli Track Classic at San Francisco State University. Stats from the Cal Poly Invitational and the Titus and Ely Meet are available on the Biola Athletics website.