Softball splits against HPU for a second time

The Eagles win 2-1 in game one and lose 3-2 to the Sharks in game two.

Natalie Hernandez, Sports Editor

On March 22, softball played a doubleheader at home against Hawaii Pacific University, winning the first game 2-1 and losing the second 3-2.

THE ONLY RUN

In the first inning neither Biola nor HPU were able to score runs. At the bottom of the second inning redshirt junior outfielder Madison Blossey hit a triple, bringing in sophomore first base Abie Nowak to score.

At the top of the third the Sharks scored a run from a ground ball, tying the game. The fourth, fifth and sixth inning remained scoreless for both teams. The Sharks were still unable to score a run to break the tie.

With the bottom of the seventh left, the Eagles applied pressure and were able to break the tie and win the game 2-1.

WIN ONE LOSE ONE

In the same fashion the Eagles were able to make the first run in their second game, after two scoreless innings. Unfortunately, the Sharks tied the game and stole the lead in the top of the fourth and fifth inning, 2-1. At the top of the seventh inning HPU sealed their lead scoring another run, increasing their lead to two points. 

At the bottom of the seventh inning redshirt junior left handed pitcher Jennifer Morinishi hit a single up the middle, sending Blossey to third and redshirt junior outfielder Sicili Brittingham in to score. The Eagles were unable to catch up, losing their second game, 3-2.

Softball (13-12 overall, 8-8 conference) will remain at home to face off against Chaminade University on March 25 at 4 p.m. and 6 p.m. Footage and stats from the game are located on the Biola Athletics website