Women’s water polo suffers three back-to-back losses

In the Fresno State Mini Tournament, the Eagles failed to gain any victories.

In the Fresno State Mini Tournament, women’s water polo suffered three straight losses against Fresno State University, University of the Pacific and San Jose State University, 15-7, 15-5, 14-5. Though the Eagles fought hard, they were ultimately unable to take home any victories. 

SEVEN-POINT SURGE

In their first match of the tournament, Biola played the hosting team—the Fresno Bulldogs. The Bulldogs played aggressively, keeping the Eagles from scoring until the fourth quarter. With freshman utility player Lizzy Birch scoring twice and freshman goalkeeper Samantha Rainey recording five saves and five goals—the Eagles racked up seven goals in the final quarter. Ultimately, the Eagles were unable to catch up to the Bulldogs, resulting in a loss, 15-7. 

STARTING OFF STRONG

Within 12 hours of their first match, the Eagles faced off against the Tigers. Sophomore attacker Kourtney Pyle scored the first point of the game within the first two minutes of the first period, with freshman attacker Veralie Naranjo sealing a second goal minutes after. However, the Tigers kept the Eagles from scoring, until Birch broke the silence taking a point in the first seconds of the fourth quarter. However, the Eagles were unable to make a comeback, resulting in a loss, 15-5. 

FINAL MATCH STRUGGLES 

In their third and final match of the tournament, Biola took on the San Jose Spartans. Though the Eagles trailed the Spartans in the first half of the match, redshirt sophomore utility player Rachel Spadt scored the first goal of the second half. However, the Spartans answered with six consecutive goals. Sophomore utility player Maria Roldan Gonzalez and Pyle both scored within the final minutes of the game, but were ultimately unsuccessful in catching the Spartans. The Eagles lost the match, 14-5. 

Women’s water polo (2-7) will compete in the Claremont Convergence Conference, beginning on March 4 at 10 a.m., competing at the Axelrod Pool on March 4 and at the De Mandel Aquatics Center on March 5. Footage and stats from the game are located on the Biola Athletics website.