Women’s basketball shuts out Point Loma

The Eagles drown the Sea Lions, 52-35.

Amanda Frese, Managing Editor

In a double-digit victory against the Point Loma Nazarene University Sea Lions on Wednesday night, the Eagles showed offensive and defensive efficiency, ultimately taking the lead, 52-35. Overall, the Eagles scored 30 points in the paint, while returning the ball to achieve 24 points off of turnovers. Biola held a strong defense throughout, but especially in the second and fourth quarters—only allowing the Sea Lions to score two points in each quarter.

FIRST HALF SUCCESS

Redshirt junior guard Aysia Johnson kickstarted the game by stealing the ball in the first minute of the game with freshman guard Amiah Simmons following up by scoring a 3-pointer. Simmons led the Eagles, tallying 18 points for the Eagles throughout the match. Redshirt sophomore forward Jordan Rabe tallied six points off of layups in the first quarter, scoring an overall 17 points and recording nine rebounds for the Eagles throughout the match.

SECOND HALF DEFENSE

The Sea Lions returned in the second half by scoring 19 points in the third quarter, while holding Biola to 11 points. However, Biola showed defensive strength in the fourth quarter, holding Point Loma to two points, ultimately securing a victory, 52-35. 

Women’s basketball (14-8 overall, 10-5 conference) will return home on Feb. 19 at 5:30 p.m. to face off against Azusa Pacific University. Footage and stats from the game are located on the Biola Athletics website.