Men’s basketball defeated Concordia University Irvine in late comeback.

The Eagles get their eighth win in a row behind Rossow’s 31 points.
Photo courtesy of Courtesy of Biola Athletics

Men’s basketball made a late run against Concordia University Irvine for the second time this season to secure a 90-86 win. When these teams last met, Biola’s 20-8 run in the final 6:30 propelled them to a win. Tonight, Biola came back from down five points in the final 2:26.

Redshirt senior guard Chris Rossow was stunning all night, scoring 31 points while also grabbing eight rebounds and having six assists. Redshirt junior guard Alex Wright scored 12 points and had eight rebounds, while redshirt freshman forward Maximo Milovich scored a season-high 15 points off the bench.

EVERYBODY LOVES CHRIS, AND A COMEBACK

The Eagles played well in the first half, shooting just under 50% from the floor while making 85% of the free throws. The Concordia Eagles had zero free-throw opportunities in this half, however, they still led at the halftime break, 36-41.

In the second half, Concordia increased their lead to nine points within the opening five minutes. However, a jumper from redshirt senior forward Michael Bagatoruain kickstarted a Biola run that would lead to a 62-60 with 9:34 left in the game.

Down the stretch, CUI’s junior guard Wayne Arnold would score 12 points in a row for his team, giving them a six-point advantage with 3:30 left. However, a 3-pointer by redshirt junior guard Whitten Dominquez with 1:03 left would tie the game, and a free-throw clinic from Rossow in the final minute would ultimately give Biola the 90-86 win.

Men’s basketball (19-4 overall, 13-3 conference) will next take the court at home against Point Loma University on Wednesday, Feb 12 at 7:30 p.m. Footage and stats from the game are located on the Biola Athletics website.

About the Contributor
Zachary Devane
Zachary Devane, Deputy Sports Editor
Zach Devane is a sophomore journalism major from Indio, California. He loves Jesus, the Los Angeles Lakers and will eat chicken in almost any form. Hi! I am from Indio, California, home of the famous Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival. I know it sounds like a dream come true to live so close to where all the excitement and chatter takes place, but I assure you that hundreds of thousands of people flooding your hometown for three weeks straight is more like a nightmare. Fun fact, I have lived in Indio for 17 of my 20 years of life and I have only been to Coachella once.  The people I look up to most in my life are my parents. My father grew up playing basketball in Los Angeles and ever since I was a little kid he wanted to make sure that I would be a “BALLER!” (which he also called himself very often, and was just as often met with an eye-roll from my mother).  Although I never made it to the NBA, my love for basketball, and sports in general, has never waned. I get excited to watch a game, hear sports talk on the radio, or even read/write an article about sports, even if I am a NARP. I decided to combine my love for sports with a love for storytelling here at the Chimes. Sports in their nature are inspiring. They call for one to go beyond what they think is possible in order to achieve a goal, and when one does so, that story should be heard.  I want to tell these stories here at Biola and hopefully inspire a generation of students to reach for more.