Softball takes back-to-back losses against CSUMB

The Eagles lack offensive efficiency against the Otters.

Amanda Frese, Managing Editor

Softball lost both games in a doubleheader against the CSU Monterey Bay Otters, 2-1, 8-0. Overall, the Eagles struggled to score runs, tallying one run between the two games. Though the Eagles recorded nine hits in the first game, they only managed one run. In the second game, they struggled mightily recording a mere two hits overall and zero runs. 

FIRST GAME STRUGGLE

Though the Eagles tallied nine hits throughout the first game, they struggled to capitalize on those hits and record runs. They started the game with bases loaded, but failed to score a run in the first inning. The Otters scored first in the third inning with a triple over the head of sophomore outfielder Allie Beck, bringing in the runner from first. The Eagles also scored in the bottom of the third inning with a fielder’s choice from sophomore first baseman Abie Nowak. 

Redshirt senior right-handed pitcher Paige Austin pitched efficiently, only permitting four hits for the Otters. However, the game went into extra innings, after allowing the Otters two back-to-back walks in the eighth inning. CSUMB scored off of a two-out single, which allowed them the victory, 2-1, after Biola failed to score in the bottom of the inning.

SECOND GAME SLUMP 

Once again, the Eagles started the game with a bases loaded situation, but were unable to score runs. Beck and Nowak were the only players to record hits in the second game. CSUMB tallied runs during almost every inning of the game, resulting in a loss for the Eagles, 8-0. 

Women’s softball (5-4) will face off against Holy Names University at the Chabot College Softball Field in a doubleheader on Feb. 25 at 12 p.m. and 2 p.m. Stats from today’s match are located on the Biola Athletics website.