Men’s tennis dominates in weekend season opener

The Eagles begin their season with a 2-0 overall victory.

Marlena Lang, Photo Editor

Men’s tennis had back-to-back games this Friday and Saturday, securing wins in both. On Friday, the Eagles traveled to Pasadena, California to play against the California Institute of Technology Beavers, securing a 7-2 victory. 

On Saturday, the Eagles played at home against the University of Redlands Bulldogs, securing a clean win, 7-0. For the second time in the past three seasons, men’s tennis kicked off their season 2-0.

BEATING THE BEAVERS

The Eagles started off strong on Friday, securing a win in all three doubles matches against CalTech. All four men’s singles ended in victories, setting the stage for a successful season ahead. Junior Sebastian Herrera and junior Alexei Prokopchuk were successful in their single matches, taking the No. 1 and No. 2 spots in the match. Herrera finished with a win, 6-4, and Prokopchuk followed up with another victory, 6-3. 

Additionally, Redshirt sophomore Alex Sedeno and redshirt junior Antonio Rosales Varona triumphed in their close game singles. Varona played a close match with a 7-6 win in his first set, but secured the win with a 6-2 score in his second set. Sedeno played two difficult sets, ultimately winning, 7-6 and 7-5. 

HOME COURT GRAND SLAM

The men’s first home court game on Saturday began with an impeccable 6-0 score across the board for the double’s match. The Eagles’ doubles teams presented Prokopchuk and Varona, as well as Herrera and graduate student Carlos Soloranzo. Freshman Tomas Gomez also played doubles alongside sophomore Callen Hein. The Eagles played perfect games, winning all six singles matches. 

Men’s tennis (2-0) will travel to Hilo, Hawaii on Feb. 11 at 2 p.m. to face off against the University of Hawaii at Hilo. Stats from today’s games are located on the Biola Athletics website.