Concordia defeats women’s water polo

The Eagles fall short to the Golden Eagles, 15-9.
Concordia defeats women’s water polo

Women’s water polo played their second home game of the spring semester at Splash Aquatic Center against Concordia University Irvine and lost, 15-9. 

NECK AND NECK

Concordia scored the first goal less than a minute into the game. In response, sophomore utility Maria Roldan Gonzalez scored the first goal for Biola. After the Golden Eagles pulled ahead, Gonzalez once again tied up the game. It was not enough, however, as Concordia scored one more point, ending the first period with a score of 3-2.

CUI came out strong in the second quarter, landing another goal less than a minute in. The Golden Eagles scored one more time before sophomore attacker Kourtney Pyle achieved another goal. Seconds later, CUI scored again. Gonzales scored two back to back goals in the third quarter closing the gap between the two universities. The Golden Eagles scored three more times before graduate attacker Hanna Jordan scored for the Eagles. The ball was passed back and forth, but with less than thirty seconds left on the clock, sophomore utility Rachel Spadt brought the score up to 10-8.

CUI TAKES THE LEAD

Despite Biola closing in on CUI throughout the game, the Golden Eagles played better offensively. In the fourth quarter, they scored four goals compared to Biola’s one goal made by Gonzales and the Eagles lost, 15-9. 

Women’s water polo (2-4), will head up to Fresno, California to face off against Fresno State University on Feb. 18 at 6:00 p.m. Footage and stats from the game are located on the Biola Athletics website.