The best books to put on your must-read list this semester

For the book lovers at Biola, check out these prize-winning titles.

Emily Coffey, Arts and Entertainment Editor

Making the time to read for pleasure as a busy student or adult can be difficult. However, when the practice of reading is given the time it deserves, much can be learned. Check out our reading list of books published from the 1800s to present-day.

THE GIVER” – LOIS LOWRY

This classic, published in 1993, received a glorious film adaptation in 2014, starring Jeff Bridges. The book details the journey of a boy who gets picked to be the “Giver,” an important and dangerous role in the colorless community he lives in. Hidden thinly behind the fascinating and captivating plotline is a commentary on society and an applicable message about society’s future. 

ALL THE LIGHT WE CANNOT SEE” – ANTHONY DOERR

A Pulitzer Prize winner in 2015 and a New York Times bestseller, this devastatingly beautiful novel tells the story of a blind French girl, a German boy and a museum keeper. Set in World War II, this story details with cutting honesty the devastation encountered by the people of France during the war. 

THE RUTHLESS ELIMINATION OF HURRY” – JOHN MARK COMER

For theology, psychology or sociology majors, this book is a must-have, although anyone should read it. Comer’s book discusses the poison of hurry, and reads like a good therapy session. He dives deep into the theology of solitude and gives helpful spiritual and mental practices to stay in good spiritual and mental health. 

PRIDE AND PREJUDICE” – JANE AUSTEN

If you have not already read this absolute banger of a romance novel, it is time. While published in 1813, this book remains as relevant as ever, containing important commentary on women’s independence and romance in a high-pressure society. Although it was inspiring for the time frame, it remains a valuable tome of social wisdom and hilarity. 

THE KNOWLEDGE OF THE HOLY” – A.W. TOZER

Another must-have for theology or Bible majors, this book’s main purpose is to help readers understand the holiness and supremacy of God. It serves as a backbone for understanding the character of God, and is a must-read for Christian audiences.