Women’s basketball starts a win streak

The Eagles crush the Hawaii Hilo Vulcans, 67-55.

Natalie Hernandez, Sports Editor

Women’s basketball returned home to Chase Gymnasium on Tuesday night to compete against the Hawaii Hilo Vulcans, who they will face again on Saturday night. Biola started a win streak as they defeated the Vulcans, 67-55.

FRESHMAN ON FIRE

Freshman guard Amiah Simmons is at the top of the stats sheet once again for the most points scored against the Vulcans. Simmons earned a total of 19 points, four rebounds and a 50% 3-pointer accuracy. Redshirt sophomore forward Jordan Rabe followed right behind with 14 points, 10 rebounds and one steal. The Eagles gained 30 points in the paint, 19 points from the bench, 10 turnover points and earned a 76.5% free-throw average in their matchup against the Vulcans.

ALL TIED UP

The Vulcans made the first shot of the match, but the Eagles quickly responded with a score of their own, pulling ahead to a three-point lead in the first quarter. Both teams exchanged shots and the Vulcans tied the game twice, but were unable to match the Eagles. In the second quarter Biola was on fire as they increased the point-gap to the double digits, leaving the Vulcans far behind.

Biola continued to dominate over the Vulcans, finishing the third quarter with a 19-point lead. The Eagles pushed hard, remained in the lead and won the game, 67-55.

Women’s basketball (10-5 overall, 6-2 conference) will return home once again on Jan. 27 at 5:30 p.m. to compete against Academy of Art University. Footage and statistics from the game are located on the Biola Athletics website.