Women’s water polo takes first program victory

The Eagles make a splash at LBSU mini tournament.

Amanda Frese, Managing Editor

In the first game of their kickstart season for women’s water polo, the Eagles showed out at the Long Beach State University mini tournament in Long Beach, California. Though the Eagles fought hard against Pomona-Pitzer, the Sagehens ultimately took a narrow two-point win, 9-7, in their first match. However, the Eagles returned with their first victory in program history against La Verne University, 16-7, proving a promising start to the first year of the program. 

STRONG START AGAINST POMONA-PITZER

Freshman attacker Veralie Naranjo made strides for the Eagles, scoring five of their seven points throughout the match. Naranjo followed up her impressive scoring with a power play in the final seconds of the first period, driving the Eagles to a leading score before entering the second half—the first ever lead in program history. 

In the second and third periods, the Sagehens returned the Eagles’ offensive battle with fastbreaks, scoring three points in a row in the third period. However, the Eagles maintained offensive strategy, playing the ball back and forth to allow utility freshman Rachel Spadt to score the fourth goal of the game. Though the Sagehens took the victory, graduate student attacker Hanna Jordan managed to score four minutes into the third period, with Naranjo recording two more points. This resulted in a final score of 9-7. 

FIRST VICTORY AGAINST LA VERNE 

In their second game of the day, the Eagles defeated La Verne in a nine-point victory, 16-7. From the start, freshman attacker Ava LoBue showed she was ready to win, giving the Eagles opening possession by winning the opening sprint. Spadt and freshman utility player Lizzy Birch also showed out, gaining back-to-back possessions throughout the match. At the halftime break, the Eagles kept a three-point lead against the Leopards, 6-3. 

The Eagles returned every goal made by the Leopards in the final period. However, in the final minutes of the match, the Eagles pulled a five-point lead, scoring five goals in row and ending the match with a victory, 16-7. 

Women’s water polo (1-1) will face off against UC Santa Barbara at the Splash Aquatic Center in La Mirada on Jan. 28 at 1:00 p.m. Footage and statistics from the game are located on the Biola Athletics Website.