Women’s basketball off to a rough start

The Eagles fall to Westcliff University in first semester game, 61-54.

Natalie Hernandez, Sports Editor

Women’s basketball returned home to Chase Gymnasium after their last game against Point Loma Nazarene University was postponed. The Eagles faced off against the Westcliff University Warriors on Tuesday night. BU scored less points than the Warriors for the first three quarters and scored more in the last quarter. Unfortunately, they were unable to decrease the gap, losing, 61-54. 

HUSTLING ON THE COURT

Redshirt sophomore forward Jordan Rabe led the Eagles as she put 17 points on the scoreboard, two steals, two blocks and 15 rebounds. Right behind Rabe in points was freshman guard Amiah Simmons who gained 11 points for BU, as well as one steal and three rebounds. Despite the loss, the Eagles achieved 25 points from the bench and 32 points in the paint compared to 24 points from Westcliff and 18 fast break points. 

EARLY DEFEAT

The Eagles had a short-lived lead as they put the first points on the board. Westcliff finished the first quarter with a six-point lead and continued leading the game to the half. With three minutes and 12 seconds on the clock for the second half, Biola decreased the gap to two points, but BU remained down at the half, 31-22.

Biola continued to add to their score just as WU raised the point gap to 16 points by the end of the third quarter. Although the Eagles scored 22 points in the fourth quarter it was not enough as they lost by seven points, 61-54.

Women’s basketball (8-5 overall, 4-2 conference) will return to the court at home on Jan. 22 at 5:30 p.m. to compete against the Chaminade University Silverswords. Footage and statistics from the game are located on the Biola Athletics website.