Women’s basketball starts the season with a win

The Eagles bounced back from two pre-season losses to defeat Cal State LA in overtime, 81-74.

Natalie Hernandez, Sports Editor

Women’s basketball traveled to Los Angeles, California on Friday afternoon to compete against California State University of Los Angeles. Biola defeated the Golden Eagles in an overtime opportunity, 81-74.

Redshirt sophomore guard Stephanie Lee led Biola’s offense with 23 points and three rebounds. Redshirt sophomore forward Jordan Rabe popped off for 22 points and gained 13 rebounds. Freshman guard Amiah Simmons made her college conference debut by adding 15 points to the board for Biola.

EAGLES LEAD THE GAME

The Eagles entered the first quarter with energy that could not be matched. Biola gained a 12-7 lead, with that lead quickly turning into 28-17 at the start of the second quarter. Cal State LA pulled ahead to the end the second quarter with a two-point lead 34-32. 

It was an even exchange of shots from both teams as they tied the game a total of seven times throughout the match up. The Golden Eagles started the fourth quarter with a six-point lead that quickly turned into a 10-point lead, until Biola started to decrease the deficit. The Eagles scored four shots back-to-back and with eleven seconds left on the clock tied the game with a fifth shot to go into overtime, 70-70.

OVERTIME OPPORTUNITY

The Eagles made the first three shots in overtime, increasing the board to a five-point lead. Cal State LA responded by gaining two points. Biola was relentless, increasing to a seven-point lead and eventually winning the game in overtime, 81-74.

Women’s basketball (1-0) will face off against the California State University of Dominguez Hills Toros on Saturday Nov. 13 at 2 p.m. in Los Angeles, California. Footage from today’s game can be found on the Biola Athletics website.