Men’s soccer move to No. 1 spot in PacWest

The Eagles defeat the Penguins, 2-1.

Natalie Hernandez, Sports Editor

Men’s soccer returned home to compete against Dominican University of California. The Eagles held a scoreless tie at the end of the first period, but were able to come back in the second half to win, 2-1.

Redshirt sophomore goalkeeper JD Gunn was in the box for the Eagles, gaining four saves in the match. Biola had a total of 18 shots attempted and eight shots on goal, two of which met the back of the net. 

COMEBACK KINGS 

The first half was uneventful as both teams exchanged several attempted shots but neither was successful. Biola held a scoreless tie going into the second half. Starting off the second period on fire, redshirt junior midfielder Theo Le Calve scored a goal, putting Biola on the board assisted by graduate student midfielder Daniel Simonis. 

The Penguins responded with a goal of their own, tying the match 1-1 with 18 minutes left on the clock. Less than a minute later graduate student forward Malik Shaheed broke the tie with an assist from redshirt junior midfielder Aidan Hill. Biola held off the Penguins the rest of the game and won the match, 2-1. 

This victory places Biola in the No.1 spot in the PacWest conference with 21 points.

Men’s soccer (11-5 overall, 7-2 conference) will return home to face off against rivals Azusa Pacific University on Nov. 13 at 7 p.m. Footage from today’s game is available on the Biola Athletics website