The Eagles freeze out the Penguins

Women’s soccer earned a win against Dominican University, 2-1.

Natalie Willis, Editor in Chief

On Nov. 6, women’s soccer faced the Dominican University of California Penguins at home, earning another victory, 2-1. Although the match got off to a slow start, the second period picked up when both teams scored back-to-back goals, effectively tying the match and moving into overtime.

OVERTIME OPPORTUNITY 

The first period was uneventful for both teams, with the Eagles totaling three shots on goal and two saves against Dominican. For their part, the Penguins kept Biola scoreless until the second half.

Similarly, the second half progressed slowly until the Penguins made the first goal of the game at the 55th minute. The Eagles were thrown off track by the goal but quickly got back on track as redshirt junior midfielder Katelyn Penner tied the game with assistance from redshirt sophomore midfielder Halie Jamir. The second half ended with a draw, 1-1, and ran into overtime.

With the game on the line, the Eagles wasted no time securing their overtime victory. Only a minute into overtime, redshirt freshman defender Jess Hase assisted again by Jamir, sailed the game winning goal to the back of the net, 2-1.

Women’s soccer (7-8-1 overall, 5-4-0 conference) will return to the field on Nov. 13 at 4 p.m. to face Azusa Pacific University at home. Stats from today’s match are located on the Biola Athletics website.