Men’s water polo sets a new program record

The Eagles secure their second win against Ottawa Arizona, 15-7.

Natalie Hernandez, Sports Editor

On Friday morning men’s water polo headed to Thousand Oaks, California to compete against Ottawa Arizona University and California Lutheran University. The Eagles split the day with a victory against Ottawa, 15-7 and a loss against Cal Lutheran, 12-5. This concludes the men’s water polo initial season and the Eagles will head off to compete in the Western Water Polo Association Tournament on Nov. 19.

VICTORY AT LAST

The Eagles started off the morning facing Ottawa Arizona, who they lost to earlier in the season, 10-13. Sophomore attacker Kenny Wulf made the first goal of the match. Freshman utility Braeden Marsolini scored another goal quickly after adding to the advantage for the Eagles. With four minutes left in the first quarter OUAZ managed to score a goal. Biola countered with only 30 seconds left on the clock as freshman attacker Will Tibbetts added another goal for the Eagles, ending the first quarter at a three-point advantage.

In the second quarter the Eagles added two more goals while Ottawa added three. However, Biola remained in the lead going into halftime, 6-4. The Eagles kept momentum into the third quarter, scoring a total of six goals from freshman utility players John Grasso and Nolan Rapp, freshman center Luke Franklin, freshman attacker Matthew Rodriguez and sophomore center defender Maxwell Osborn. Freshman goalkeeper Mitchell Carpenter gained 16 saves in the match.

In the end Biola reigned victorious and set a new program record, winning, 15-7

FACING DEFEAT

The second match of the day the Eagles competed against the Cal Lutheran Kingsmen. The Kingsmen scored the first two goals of the match and the Eagles responded with a goal of their own made by Osborn. After another goal was made by Cal Lutheran, Franklin added another goal to the scoreboard for the Eagles. In the second quarter the Kingsmen had a four-point run, leaving Biola at a five point disadvantage, unable to score in the second quarter.

Biola scored three more goals the entire match but were unable to catch up with the Kingsmen, who ultimately won, 12-5.

Men’s water polo (2-20 overall, 0-8 conference) will head to Davis, California to compete in the WWPA tournament. Official stats from today’s match is located on the Biola Athletics website.