Soccer faces defeat against Concordia

Women’s soccer holds Concordia’s aggressive plays at bay.

Amanda Frese, Managing Editor

As Biola and Concordia University Irvine Golden Eagles faced off at the Al Barbour Field at 4 p.m., Biola remained unable to defeat Concordia’s offensive plays. Though Concordia won (3-1), Biola managed to save four attempts at the goal in the first half of the match, and two of Concordia’s attempts on the goal in the second half. Biola held a strong defensive line, but only scored once against Concordia throughout the game. 

BIOLA SCORES 

Fifteen minutes into the game, redshirt sophomore forward Mason Stansberry scored the first and only goal of the night, assisted by freshman forward Jazmin Montalvo. Biola made five total attempts at goal in the first half, though only one goal landed a win for the Eagles. 

Concordia countered Biola’s attempts at the goal, with 10 of their own attempts at scoring—though Concordia scored two goals in the first half. Redshirt freshman goalkeeper Anna Boyer held Concordia at bay by blocking their shots throughout the game. 

FINAL DEFEAT 

In the second half, Concordia continued to play aggressively—attempting 10 more shots on the goal. Though Biola continued to hold them defensively, Concordia still scored one last goal in the second half —leading to their victory against the Biola Eagles, 3-1. This loss puts Biola at 5-8-1 overall and 3-4-0 PacWest standing. 

The Eagles will continue their season, facing off against Holy Names University at home at 4 p.m. on Nov. 4. Statistics and footage from today’s game are available on the Biola Athletics website.