Men’s water polo competes in last home game of the season

The Eagles fall to Concordia University Irvine, 11-4.

Natalie Hernandez, Sports Editor

On Wednesday afternoon men’s water polo returned home to compete against the Concordia University Irvine Golden Eagles. The Eagles added to their losing streak, as they could not prove to be the better eagles. CUI defeated Biola 11-4 in their last home game of the season.

BATTLE OF THE EAGLES

Freshman goalkeeper Mitchell Carpenter was protecting the cage, making 10 total saves. Despite the loss Biola was not far behind CUI. The Golden Eagles attempted 33 shots, while the Eagles attempted 30 shots. 

In the first quarter the Golden Eagles were the only team to score a goal. The momentum carried into the second quarter as CUI had a three-goal run. Freshman utility Nolan Rapp scored the first goal for Biola in response to Concordia. Junior center Matthew Vinson made another goal for the Eagles with only 58 seconds left in the second quarter. The score was 5-2 at the half.

Sophomore attacker Kenny Wulf scored the first goal of the third quarter, but the Golden Eagles quickly responded with two goals of their own, adding to their lead. Wulf continues to be a pivotal player in the Biola offense. Wulf made a second goal in the fourth quarter, but Concordia overpowered, winning 11-4.

Men’s water polo (1-19 overall, 0-8 conference) will face off against Ottawa Arizona University and California Lutheran University on Oct. 29. Footage from today’s match is located on the Biola Athletics website.