Men’s soccer dominate the field against Hawaii Pacific University

The Eagles win against the Sharks, 4-2.

Natalie Hernandez, Sports Editor

Monday proved to be successful for Biola as men’s soccer won against the Hawaii Pacific University Sharks. The Eagles took the lead making the only goal in the first period, leaving the score 1-0 going into the second half. The Sharks responded in the second half, but the Eagles pulled ahead, winning the game, 4-2.

LEADING ON THE FIELD

The match started off slow with both teams unable to score a goal. With less than five minutes left in the first half freshman forward Moose Bonat scored a goal off a deflected ball from redshirt freshman forward Adam Jones. The Eagles finished the first half at an advantage, 1-0.  

SLAUGHTERING THE SHARKS

In the first 15 minutes of the second half Hawaii Pacific responded with two goals of their own and pulled ahead, 2-1. Redshirt sophomore goalkeeper JD Gunn made four saves in the box, preventing the Sharks from scoring for the remainder of the game.

With less than 10 minutes left, redshirt junior midfielder Oscar Rubalcava scored a goal to the left assisted by Bonat to tie the game 2-2. This built momentum as redshirt junior midfielder Jonathan Serrano scored a goal assisted by Jones. Down to the wire with 33 seconds left, Jones scored a goal assisted by Rubalcava and the Eagles reigned victorious, 4-2. 

Men’s soccer (8-4 overall, 4-1 PacWest) will compete against the University of Hawaii at Hilo on Thursday afternoon at 5:30 p.m. Footage from today’s game can be found on the Biola Athletics website.