Eagles end Hawaii roadtrip with a victory

After five sets against Chaminade University, the Eagles take the win, 3-2.

Amanda Frese, Managing Editor

Biola dominated the court in a five-set match against No. 24 Chaminade University on Oct. 9 at the McCabe Gymnasium in Honolulu, Hawaii. Ending their Hawaii matches with a win, the Eagles picked up an essential victory against the Silverswords who are placed third overall in the PacWest Conference. This win places the Eagles’ standing at (9-6, 5-2) as they return home. 

WINNING START 

In the first two sets, the Eagles won both sets with an identical score, 25-20. In the first set, the Eagles championed 14 kills and achieved 11 kills in the second set. Leading the team throughout the game was redshirt sophomore middle blocker Regan Tjepkema who individually gained 14 kills and 2 aces—tying her season high, according to the Biola Athletics website

Redshirt freshman middle blocker Dani Bryant and redshirt sophomore outside hitter Madison Beebe also scored 11 kills each during the match, ultimately contributing to the Eagles’ overall 52 kills throughout the game. However, Biola’s aggressive offense was not enough to hold the Silverswords during the third and fourth match. 

FIFTH-SET WIN 

After the Silverswords took the third and fourth set, the Eagles went into the fifth set with an unstoppable energy. Winning the fifth set with a score of 15-12, the team continued to work together to win the final match. Graduate student setter Vanessa Garcia recorded 38 assists and 15 digs throughout the match, holding the Eagles steady and leading them to a victory against Chaminade. 

Volleyball (9-6 overall, 5-2 conference) will face off against Concordia University Irvine on Oct. 16 at 5 p.m. in the CU Arena in Irvine, California. The livestream and stats from this game are available on the Biola Athletics website