Volleyball starts a losing streak

The Eagles start their Hawaii series with a loss against Hawaii-Hilo, 3-2.

Natalie Hernandez, Sports Editor

The Eagles faced off against the University of Hawaii at Hilo in Hawaii on Oct. 6. The Eagles fought hard in the fifth set for a win, but unfortunately, Biola took a loss. The loss puts Biola at 3-2 standing in the PacWest Conference. Although the Eagles lost, they matched the Vulcans with 65 kills and six aces. 

HIGHS AT HILO

Despite the loss, redshirt sophomore outside hitter Madison Beebe carried the Eagles, scoring 16 kills and gaining 20 digs. Redshirt freshman middle blocker Dani Bryant followed behind, scoring 16 kills and made three blocks. Gaining nine kills, one ace three blocks and four assists, redshirt sophomore setter Abby Brewster kept the Eagles in the fight against the Vulcans. 

GOING DOWN WITH A FIGHT

In the first set, Biola played a close match, until the Vulcans pulled ahead with a seven-point run. This gave Hawaii-Hilo advantage as the Eagles were defeated, 25-17. 

Biola won set two 25-17 and the Vulcans took set three, 29-27. The Eagles and the Vulcans played even to start off set four—until Biola pulled ahead with a four-point run. This gave Biola momentum and did not allow for Hawaii-Hilo to catch up. The Eagles lost the fifth set, 10-15 and lost overall 3-2. 

Volleyball (7-6 overall, 3-2 conference) will face off against Hawaii Pacific University on Oct. 8 at 10 p.m. The livestream is available on the Biola Athletics Website.