Volleyball wins home opener

The Eagles defeat Concordia University, 3-1.

Natalie Hernandez, Sports Editor

On Saturday, volleyball headed home to face off against the Concordia University Golden Eagles. The Eagles won three sets leading them to win, 3-1. By the end of the match, Biola had a total of 75 points, 52 kills and 12 aces. This puts Biola 2-0 in the PacWest conference.  

Leading Biola was redshirt sophomore outside hitter Madison Beebe, who gained 14 kills and redshirt freshman outside hitter Dominique Kirton who had 7 kills and two blocks. Redshirt sophomore Raegan Tjepkema also gained 14 kills, three aces and three blocks while redshirt sophomore setter Abby Brewster added to the stat sheet with six kills, one ace and two blocks.

FIRST SET VICTORY

Biola held the upper hand in the first set, making the first three points. Concordia returned with two points of their own. The first set remained a back and forth but the Eagles did not allow the Golden Eagles to catch up. Set one ended victorious, 25-17.

KILLING THE COMPETITION

The second set was a close fight for both teams. The score tied three times before Concordia pulled ahead, winning set two, 27-25. Biola returned the heat in sets three and four. Biola conquered Concordia, not allowing them to catch up. The Eagles won overall, 3-1.

Volleyball (6-4) will face Point Loma Nazarene University on Wednesday, Sept. 29 at 7 p.m. The livestream will be available on the Biola Athletics website.