Volleyball splits another tournament

The Eagles head to the Pacific Northwest for their second tournament of the season.

Natalie Hernandez, Sports Editor

Volleyball had four days of rest before their next set of games in Seattle, Washington on Sept. 9-11. Biola competed in the 2021 SPU-CWU Invitational, facing off against Seattle Pacific UniversitySimon Fraser University, Western Oregon and Central Washington University. Similar to the last tournament, the Eagles split their time in the PNW, winning two matches but losing two as well. Despite a defeat in the first match, the Eagles bounced back, winning the next two matches. 

DAY ONE DISAPPOINTMENT

The Falcons proved to be the greater birds on day one as the Eagles lost, 2-3. Biola won the second and fourth sets but lost the fifth set, 11-15. The leaders of this game were redshirt sophomores outside hitter Madison Beebe, middle blocker Abigail Copeland, setter Abby Brewster and grad student libero Sami Hover. Biola had 78 points, 59 kills, eight aces, 11 blocks and 92 digs. 

DIGGING FOR THE DUB

The Eagles raked the Leaf on Friday night, 3-0. The score remained even in the beginning of the first set. Biola ultimately increased the point gap leaving Simon Fraser unable to catch up, resulting in a set win, 25-15. The Eagles totaled 52 points, 40 kills, three aces, nine blocks and 65 digs. 

Biola continued the winning streak into Saturday as they faced the Western Oregon Wolves. The Eagles won the first set 25-19. They lost the second and fourth set, leaving set five to determine the winner overall. Biola pulled ahead and won, 3-2. Copeland and redshirt freshman Dominique Kirton topped the stat sheet by contributing the most points for this match.

FINAL MATCH FAILURE

Volleyball broke their winning streak against the Central Washington Wildcats. The first set looked hopeful as Biola tied the score four times, but it was not enough as they lost the set, 21-25. The Eagles were unable to redeem themselves in the next two sets losing the match, 0-3. Despite the loss, the Eagles totaled 36 points, 30 kills, one ace, five blocks and 40 digs. 

Volleyball (4-4) will go against Holy Names University in Oakland, California on Sept. 17 at 5:30 p.m. The livestream will be available on the Biola Athletics website.