Cancel culture is counterintuitive of our mission as Christians

Biolans can exemplify God’s grace in an unforgiving world.

Lauren Vander Tuig, Staff Writer

In today’s culture, the world is exposed to a critical and judgmental way of thinking. “Cancel culture” is widespread and affects everyone. With the helpful watch of social media, people monitor and record every move. Anyone with access to the internet freely comments and criticizes others. 

As defined by the New York Post, cancel culture is “the phenomenon of promoting the ‘canceling’ of people, brands and even shows and movies due to what some consider to be offensive or problematic remarks or ideologies.” This concept is not something that is new, but social media empowers users to express negative commentary on a far-reaching platform. 

THE WORLD AS THE UNRIGHTEOUS JUDGE

In this right, what became known as cancel culture gives people the right to condemn one another. What power or higher moral ground gives people this right? As observers of individuals’ mistakes and faults, the general public detaches from a certain kind of empathy. 

Whether this has to do with the conformity that occurs behind a screen or the certain separation of feelings for other human beings, individuals are comfortable with berating one another for not being as morally upright as they believe themselves to be.  

MORAL ACCOUNTABILITY

While there are many negative aspects of cancel culture, it does succeed in holding people accountable for their actions. It instigates checks and balances that enforce cultural correctness and laws of morality. Due to this scouting of wrongdoings, cancel culture exposed many for unjust actions. 

A few examples of the success of cancel culture were exemplified in the cancellation of people like Harvey Weinstein and R. Kelly. Both of these men were exposed and canceled for their atrocious sexual crimes against a long list of women involved in the film and music industry. 

Accountability is critical in personal relationships, as well as in application to cultural and political leaders. Without accountability, corruption, wrongful acts of abuse or other harmful actions would remain “under the table” behavior. 

THE CHURCH’S HIGHER CALLING ABOVE JUDGMENT  

The canceling aspect of cancel culture directly goes against the Christian mission. People feel empowered to ostracize those caught in sin. It serves as an almost metaphorical public execution, which expels subjects from having any further influence on society.

It serves as an almost metaphorical public execution, which expels subjects from having any further influence on society.

According to James 2:13, “judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment.” This verse is a perfect reminder of how believers are to act when presented with an individual who is exposed in sinful doings, acting out in mercy rather than judgement. Herein lies the main issue with cancel culture: how unforgiving it is. 

BIOLA’S CONTRIBUTION TO ENDING CANCEL CULTURE

Young Christians have a responsibility to stand apart from the world’s tendency to ostracize those who made mistakes. In contrast to this ideology, Biola students should do their best to foster an environment where mistakes are forgiven and redemption is possible. This sets forth living, breathing examples of Christ’s graciousness on campus that extends to the rest of the world.