Men’s soccer opens the season with a success

The Eagles prevail against the Cougars, 1-0.

Biola men’s soccer kicked off their season with a victory against the Cal State San Marcos Cougars, 1-0. Biola headed to San Marcos for their season opener. The Eagles powered through the aggressive match which totaled six yellow cards between both teams. 

SECOND HALF VICTORY  

Holding an empty scoreline throughout the first half of the game, the Eagles relied on a strong defense to keep the Cougars at bay. Senior goalkeeper Luis Rodriguez led defensive efforts with two saves while defensive redshirt juniors Lawrence Kwazema and Izaac Zausch ran the middle of the field.

While the first half was quiet it picked up in the second half with redshirt senior midfielder Daniel Simonis scoring the first and last goal of the game. After a shot made by redshirt senior midfielder Pontus Gitselov bounced off of the goalie’s hand, Simonis lined up the rebound perfectly to score the winning goal for the Eagles. 

Men’s soccer (1-0) will return home to Al Barbour Field on Sept. 4 at 7 p.m. for an Alumni Match. Footage from today’s game is located on Biola Athletics’ website.